By Mark Campana (auth.), Ileana Paul, Vivianne Phillips, Lisa Travis (eds.)
Austronesian languages have lengthy raised fascinating questions for generative theories of syntax and morphology. The papers during this quantity surround a few of these conventional questions and position them in more recent theoretical contexts. a few of the papers additionally deal with new concerns which upload to our figuring out of contributors of this language kinfolk on one aspect and the character of linguistic theories at the different. There are 3 huge concerns that re-occur through the quantity - the position and research of verbal morphology, the character of the topic or the subject in those languages, and the interplay of syntax and specificity. The papers during this quantity convey that as formal theories develop into extra detailed, a much broader variety of language facts will be captured, and because the stock of language info grows, the accuracy of formal linguistic theories improves.
Read or Download Formal Issues in Austronesian Linguistics PDF
Similar linguistics books
Written by means of a global workforce of best students, this groundbreaking reference paintings explores the character of language switch and diffusion, and paves the way in which for destiny examine during this speedily increasing interdisciplinary field.
• gains 35 newly-written essays from across the world acclaimed specialists that replicate the expansion and energy of the burgeoning quarter of historic sociolinguistics
• Examines how sociolinguistic theoretical types, tools, findings, and services can be utilized to reconstruct a language's previous with a purpose to clarify linguistic alterations and developments
• Bridges the distance among the previous and the current in linguistic studies
• established thematically into sections exploring: origins and theoretical assumptions; equipment for the sociolinguistic research of the historical past of languages; linguistic and extra-linguistic variables; historic dialectology, language touch and diffusion; and attitudes to language
Co-published with The foreign examine origin for English Language schooling (TIRF)
An very important contribution to the rising physique of research-based wisdom approximately educating English to local audio system of Arabic, this quantity provides empirical stories performed in Egypt, Lebanon, Oman, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates (UAE)—a sector which has received awesome recognition some time past few many years. each one bankruptcy addresses a topic of present crisis, and every contains implications for coverage, perform, and destiny examine. 9 bankruptcy authors are Sheikh Nahayan Fellows—recipients of doctoral fellowships from The overseas learn beginning for English Language schooling (TIRF). This quantity is the 1st within the worldwide examine on educating and studying English sequence, co-published through Routledge and TIRF.
On the severe tip of South the US, Staten Island has piercing Antarctic winds, lonely coasts assaulted by means of breakers, and sailors misplaced as their vessels destroy at the darkish rocks. Now that civilization dares to rule right here, a lighthouse penetrates the final and wildest position of all. yet Vasquez, the mother or father of the sacred mild, has now not reckoned with the vicious, determined Kongre gang, who homicide his pals and strength him out into the desert.
- All In a Word: 100 Delightful Excursions into the Uses and Abuses of Words
- Functional-Historical Approaches to Explanation: In Honor of Scott DeLancey
- Functional Approaches to Spanish Syntax: Lexical Semantics, Discourse and Transitivity
- Historical Linguistics 2007: Selected Papers from the 18th International Conference on Historical Linguistics, Montreal, 6-11 August 2007
- New English File: Student Book Advanced level: Six-level General English Course for Adults
Extra resources for Formal Issues in Austronesian Linguistics
Tuebingen; Gunter Narr Verlag. Svartvik, Jan. 1966. On Voice in the English Verb. Mouton & Co. Voskuil, Jan F. 1993. Abstract Case and Malagasy. , McGill University, Montreal, Quebec. CONTINUATIVE ASPECT AND THE KAMBERA· DATIVE CLITIC IN Marian Klamer 1 INTRODUCTION Kambera is an Austronesian language of the Sumba-Bima group of Central MalayaPolynesian languages, spoken by approximately I50,()()() speakers on the eastern part of the island of Sumba in Eastern Indonesia Klamer (1994) provides a detailed description of the language.
49 MARIAN KLAMER 50 relation between a transitive predicate and its less-agentivelcontrolled argument Secondly, we will look at clauses with a possessed nominal predicate, as in (3). In such clauses, the possessor is marked with a genitive enclitic (-nggu is the possessor of mbapa 'husband') . ' In constructions like the one in (3), the dative c1itic -nya marks the only argument of the non-verbal predicate, which in Kambera are always marked with a clitic from either the accusative or the dative paradigm.
1977. On collapsing grammatical relations in Kinyarwanda and Universal Grammar. In SyntaJC and Semantics 8: Grammatical Relations, cds. Peter Cole and Jerrold Sadock. New York: Academic Press. MORPHOLOGY IS STRUCTURE 47 Giv6n, Talmy. 1979. On Understanding Grammar. New York: Academic Press Guilfoyle, Eithne, Henrietta Hung, & Lisa Travis. 1992. Spec of IP and Spec of VP; Two subjects in Austronesian languages. Nalural Language and Linguistic Theory 10; 375-414. Keenan, Edward L. 1995. Predicate-argument structure in Malagasy.